500 New Acquisitions
All Artists A-Z
Prices up to 500 EUR
500 - 1,000 EUR
1,000 - 3,000 EUR
3,000 - 5,000 EUR
5,000 - 10,000 EUR
10,000 - 25,000 EUR
25,000 - 50,000 EUR
over 50,000 EUR
very important paintings
WORKS OF ART
SAVE MONEY !!
1 EUR = 1 USD
Joseph Weidner "Portrait of a gentleman ", fine miniature on ivory, 1821
FINAL DISCOUNT PRICE= 2700 USD
( for EUR price see date rate )
Please note: Shipping and insurance costs are not included in this promotion, ONLY ITEM PRICES!
(please note additional 13% tax applies for transactions concluded within the European Union)
THE SELLER WILL COVER SHIPPING WITH REGULAR MAIL FOR THIS ITEM!
The presented here miniature, signed and dated "Joseph Weidner. 1821" shows a richly decorated (diplomat?) gentleman in civile dress. He bears following set of awards:
- neck cross and breast star (lower one) of a Commander of the Constantinian Order of St. George (San Giorgio) of Kingdom of Two Sicilies (Naples)
- neck cross of a Commander of Maltese Order
- breast star (upper one) and chest cross (first from left) of a Grand Commander of the Spanish Royal Order of Charles (Carlos) III
- chest cross (second from left) of Russian Order of St.Vladimir of 4th class
- chest cross (last in row) of Prussian Order of the Red Eagle of 3rd class
In January 1821, to Vienna arrived new charge d'affairs of Spain, Don Mariano Carnerero. He remained there as head of the Spanish embassy until 1840 (in that year he was transfered in the same function to Switzerland). From found on Web poor information we learn that in 1811 he visited with important mission Palermo (city where stayed then exiled Neapolitan Royal Family - obtained there Order of San Giorgio?). In 1812/14 he served in Spanish embassy in St.Petersburg (awarded there Order of St.Vladimir?). He was born in 1787 what means he was 34 in 1821.
Is he our man??
Joseph Weidner (1801 Vienna - 1870 Vienna) was one of the best Biedermeier portrait painters of the early 19th century Vienna. From 1815 he was student of the Vienna Academy and began exhibiting in 1826. He was strongly influenced by Ferdinand Waldmueller who was the husband of his sister. Between 1826-27, the artist sojourned in Moscow and St. Petersburg, where he had painted numerous portraits and established a good access to the court. His painterly estate belonged until the early 1990's to the collection of the Wiener Kuenstlerhaus.
Works of Joseph Weidner belong to collections of various museums.
Provenance: Art Auction "Douglas", South Deerfield, Ma/USA, 18.07.2003
Creation Year: 1821
Measurements: UNFRAMED:8,3x7,4cm/3,3x2,9in FRAMED: 8,5x7,5cm/3,3x3,0in
Object Type: Framed miniature
Style: Portrait Miniatures
Technique: watercolor on ivory
Inscription: signed: Joseph Weidner. 1821
Creator: Joseph Weidner
To see other works by this artist click on the name above!
Creator Dates: 1801 Vienna-1870 Vienna
- We will cover shipping with regular registered mail (delivery between 7-14 days) for this item.
OBS: Austrian mail refunds cases of loss or damage with maximum EUR 500.
- Fully insured 2-3 days DHL service available upon request and subject to extra charges:
Click here for images free of watermark!
Click on images or on to see larger pictures!