500 New Acquisitions
All Artists A-Z
Prices up to 500 EUR
500 - 1,000 EUR
1,000 - 3,000 EUR
3,000 - 5,000 EUR
5,000 - 10,000 EUR
10,000 - 25,000 EUR
25,000 - 50,000 EUR
over 50,000 EUR
very important paintings
If you have a question about this item,
please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
"Tableau with 8 miniature portraits of North-European royalties", oil/copper, 17/18th century
Price: ON REQUEST
(please note additional 13% tax applies for transactions concluded within the European Union)
Extremely important and outstandingly qualitative collection of eight oil on copper miniature portraits of North-European royalties standing in connection to the House of Wittelsbach (German dynasty from Bavaria; see our images nr.39-42).
The names of the sitters are:
*Upper row (from left to right):
1. Wilhelm Heinrich (William II), Prince of Orange (1626-1650; for his extensive biography, as well as some other known portraits of him, see our images nr.43-45). It is probably a work of Gerard ter Borch the Younger (1617-1681).
2. James, Duke of York, from 1685 King James II of England and Irland (1633-1701; CLICK HERE FOR HIS BIOGRAPHY IN WIKIPEDIA)
3. Anton I, Count of Oldenburg (1505-1573; image nr.46 provides his biography from a German source)
*Lower row (from left to right):
4. Kurfuerst Friedrich IV von der Pfalz (Frederick IV, Elector Palatine of the Rhein; 1574-1610). For his extensive biography, as well as some other known portraits of him, see our images nr.47-53).
5. Currently still unknown to us royalty.
6. Clearly dated 1641 and currently still unknown to us royalty (likely from the House of Orange-Nassau).
7. Princess Dorothea of Anhalt-Dessau (nee Princess of Pfalz-Simmern; 1581-1631). Our image nr.54 offers her extensive biography from Wikipedia.
8. Princess Luise Juliana, Electorina Palatine of the Rhine (nee Princess of Orange-Nassau; 1576-1644). For her extensive biography, as well as some other known portraits of her, see our images nr.55-56.
All eight portraits are without exception works of 1st-class Dutch or German portrait painters (all certainly court artists) working either in Germany, in the Netherlands or in England.
Provenance: highly aristocratic Bavarian property
We are very grateful to Mr. Anton Gaev (Moscow) who recognized James, Duke of York on the portrait no.2 in the upper row
*Sizes range from 3,6x3,2cm/1,4x1,3in to 9,4x7,2cm/3,7x2,8in.
*Size of the framed tableau: 29,6x36,4cm/11,7x14,3in.
Creation Year: 17th/18th Century
Object Type:Framed tableau
Style: Portrait miniatures
Technique: each: oil on copper
Inscription:one is dated 1641
Creator Dates: -
SHIPPING COSTS UPON REQUEST:
Click here for images free of watermark!
Click on images or on to see larger pictures!